Illumina Accelerator, the genomics-focused startup accelerator backed by the publicly traded genetic sequencing pioneer Illumina Corp., has picked 5 startups for its seventh accelerator class, the corporate introduced.
Wth expertise addressing pores and skin microbial therapeutics, fertility science, continual illness alleviation, put up traumatic stress dysfunction remedies, and providers for the biopharmaceutical and medical analysis industries; the startups chosen by Illumina could have entry to the corporate’s genomics and sequencing experience, enterprise teaching, lab and workplace area and an infusion of capital.
“At Illumina Accelerator, we offer entrepreneurs targeted on breakthrough genomic sequencing purposes key sources for fulfillment,” mentioned Mostafa Ronaghi, Ph.D., Illumina’s Senior Vice President and Chief Expertise Officer and co-founder of Illumina Accelerator, in a press release. “The chosen firms obtain recommendation and experience to assist information methods in enterprise and financing, crew constructing and extra. Collectively, with our achieved group of graduates, our latest investments are working to advance breakthrough purposes in genomics, together with therapeutics, diagnostics and direct-to-consumer purposes.”
The businesses in this system embody:
- DermBiont, Inc., a drug discovery and growth firm, growing pores and skin microbial therapeutics.
- MedAnswers, Inc., which is utilizing massive information and genetics to match would-be dad and mom with a curated community of fertility consultants and options to realize more healthy fertility outcomes, quicker.
- Mediphage Bioceuticals, Inc., based mostly on analysis from the College of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, this firm is growing phage-based therapies to develop cures for continual ailments.
- TruGenomix Well being, Inc., is a genomics firm targeted on advancing the remedy of post-traumatic stress dysfunction.
- Unite Genomics, Inc., a knowledge science spinout from Berkeley’s RISELab, makes use of machine studying for large-scale genomic analyses that may be utilized within the biopharmaceutical and medical analysis industries.
As an added perk for this seventh iteration of this system, accelerator firms additionally get entry to Helix, the Illumina-affiliated genomics product market that’s aiming to shut out the 12 months with roughly $300 million in whole financing.
“By way of our collaboration with Illumina Accelerator, we hope to supply progressive startups like MedAnswers entry to Helix’s crew of consultants in bioinformatics, utilized genomics, product growth and shopper advertising to assist rework their concepts into compelling shopper purposes and providers that make genomics related and accessible to all,” mentioned Justin Kao, co-founder and Senior Vice President of Helix.
Corporations chosen for Illumina’s seed funding program, obtain backing fro accredited investor by means of a convertible word and dollar-for-dollar matching funding by means of the corporate’s $40 million Illumina Accelerator Enhance Capital, (in the event that they elevate between $1 million and $5 million of qualifying capital).
Functions for the accelerator’s eighth cohort are open now and are due by Might 1.