Illumina Accelerator, the genomics-focused startup accelerator backed by the publicly traded genetic sequencing pioneer Illumina Corp., has picked 5 startups for its seventh accelerator class, the corporate introduced.
Wth expertise addressing pores and skin microbial therapeutics, fertility science, continual illness alleviation, put up traumatic stress dysfunction remedies, and companies for the biopharmaceutical and medical analysis industries; the startups chosen by Illumina can have entry to the corporate’s genomics and sequencing experience, enterprise teaching, lab and workplace house and an infusion of capital.
“At Illumina Accelerator, we offer entrepreneurs centered on breakthrough genomic sequencing purposes key sources for fulfillment,” mentioned Mostafa Ronaghi, Ph.D., Illumina’s Senior Vice President and Chief Expertise Officer and co-founder of Illumina Accelerator, in a press release. “The chosen corporations obtain recommendation and experience to assist information methods in enterprise and financing, group constructing and extra. Collectively, with our completed group of graduates, our latest investments are working to advance breakthrough purposes in genomics, together with therapeutics, diagnostics and direct-to-consumer purposes.”
The businesses in this system embody:
- DermBiont, Inc., a drug discovery and improvement firm, growing pores and skin microbial therapeutics.
- MedAnswers, Inc., which is utilizing massive knowledge and genetics to match would-be dad and mom with a curated community of fertility consultants and options to realize more healthy fertility outcomes, quicker.
- Mediphage Bioceuticals, Inc., based mostly on analysis from the College of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, this firm is growing phage-based therapies to develop cures for continual ailments.
- TruGenomix Well being, Inc., is a genomics firm centered on advancing the remedy of post-traumatic stress dysfunction.
- Unite Genomics, Inc., an information science spinout from Berkeley’s RISELab, makes use of machine studying for large-scale genomic analyses that may be utilized within the biopharmaceutical and medical analysis industries.
As an added perk for this seventh iteration of this system, accelerator corporations additionally get entry to Helix, the Illumina-affiliated genomics product market that’s aiming to shut out the 12 months with roughly $300 million in whole financing.
“By way of our collaboration with Illumina Accelerator, we hope to offer modern startups like MedAnswers entry to Helix’s group of consultants in bioinformatics, utilized genomics, product improvement and shopper advertising to assist remodel their concepts into compelling shopper purposes and companies that make genomics related and accessible to all,” mentioned Justin Kao, co-founder and Senior Vice President of Helix.
Firms chosen for Illumina’s seed funding program, obtain backing fro accredited investor via a convertible be aware and dollar-for-dollar matching funding via the corporate’s $40 million Illumina Accelerator Increase Capital, (in the event that they increase between $1 million and $5 million of qualifying capital).
Purposes for the accelerator’s eighth cohort are open now and are due by Might 1.